Mini Graphics Fitting Guide2019-06-24T09:19:05+01:00
APPLICATION and TECHNICAL GUIDELINES
FOR WET APPLICATION OF VINYL MINI GRAPHICS
Technical Data and General Notice
Type Acrylic permanent Min. Application. Temp. +10°C Service Temp. -30°C/+120°C Shear Medium Tack 6N/inch² Final Adhesion 9 N/inch²
For medium to long term vehicle graphics. 5-7 years minimum outdoor durability. Durability is given in good faith based on simulated weathering tests and real life vertical exposure in non-extreme mid-European conditions.
The room temperature and temperature of the car must be between 50°F (10°C) and 95°F (35°C).
Portable heaters may be used to adjust the cars surface temperature. Heat guns are suitable for small surfaces.
Do not use hot water or steam for this purpose, as the humidity may lead to the vinyl lifting off the surface.
The entire car surface has to be thoroughly cleaned before applying the adhesive decal, even if it may look clean. All wax or paint protection solutions must be removed for the vinyl to adhere to the surface, failure to do this could cause the vinyl not to stick properly to the car.
The working area must be clean and be of an adequate temperature to guarantee optimum application of the vinyl.
Do not apply vinyl graphics on bodywork that has recently been resprayed, leave 3-4 weeks before applying graphics.
• Tape Measure
• Wax pencil for marking centre points
• Spray Bottle or a bottle that can give a mist
• Plastic Squeegee
• Hair dryer or heat gun with adjustable temperature control
Remember that once vinyl touches the surface it will stick immediately, and cannot be lifted again or re-positioned, unless the sticky side is wet.
Fitting The wet application method allows positioning of the vinyl on the surface to be decorated, and yet move it freely without the worry of air blisters or poor adhe-sion arising. Once a satisfactory position is reached, the use of a squeegee from the centre outwards will ensure that all remaining water will be totally removed.
We do not recommend wet application with ambient temperatures of below 50oF (10oC).
1. Prepare a solution of water containing 2% liquid soap and pour it into a spray can container.
2. Spray the entire substrate surface evenly; do not use sponge or rags as these could leave residual dirt.
3. Remove the backing paper of the self-adhesive ﬁlm (and not the ﬁlm off the backing paper) at an angle of approximately 30o, whilst keeping the graphic ﬂat and spread out on the work top.
MAKE SURE THE BACKING PAPER IS KEPT DRY AND AWAY FROM WATER AT ALL TIMES, ONLY THE VINYL NEEDS TO BE WET!
4. Position the graphic on the panel to be decorated, which has already been sprayed with water.
5. Start with the squeegee in the top part of the graphic leaving a margin. Then continue with horizontal smooth and overlapping movements from the centre and work your way outwards, applying sufﬁcient pressure to squeeze out all remaining liquid.
6. Check carefully that no liquid remains, especially if you notice unevenness. Once the ﬁlm has been applied, gently dry from the centre outwards whilst paying special attention to the edges.
7. Remove the application tape at an angle between 15o and 30o . Depending on room temperature, leave 30 to 90minutes or until dry before removing the application tape. Do not leave the application tape in contact with the the ﬁlm for more than 24 hours following application of the graphic.
Moulding to curves (Viper Stripes & Full Roof graphics)
This is only possible with a very confident vinyl fitter, however if your fitting a graphic supplied by us to a vehicle & have “fingers” where there are curves you can heat gently using a hair dryer (or a heat gun with a low setting). Gently heat & mould your graphic around the curve. A small amount of shrinkage & stretching will be required but most of all – take your time.
Finishing touches Use a craft knife to trim around door handles, indicators once the graphic has had time to dry.
View our gallery for some shots of jobs that have been fitted.